Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Chana Dal Sundal/Split Chickpeas


          I wish I could be a little more organised, have my posts ready, a week in advance, take part in events, but nothing seems to work, I am always this 'last minute' person, I edit my pictures, write and post, all on the same day. Since the next few days are going to be a little busy, I am going to keep my posts, all easy and simple. For today's post I chose this simple Chana Dal Sundal, a common snack during the Navarathiri season and a very healthy one, can also have it as a side dish with rice and some spicy kuzhambu like the Kathrikkai Kuzhambu and Poondu Kuzhambu..

Need To Have

  • Chana Dal - 1/3 cup
  • Dry Red Chilly - 1 broken into two halves
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Grated Coconut - 1 tablespoon
  • Curry Leaves - 5 or 6
  • Salt - to taste

Method


          Cook the chana dal with the turmeric powder and salt, either use the pressure cooker or on stove top.  I did it on stove top.


          Heat some oil, add the mustard seeds and red chilly, once it starts spluttering add the asafoetida and curry leaves, saute for 1/2 a minute. Then add the cooked chana dal and mix. Lastly add the grated coconut and mix well and serve it warm.


Note
If cooking on stove up, soak the chana dal for at least an hour, it'll save some cooking time.
The dal should be soft when pressed between the fingers, but also do not make it mushy.
Chana Dal is split brown chickpeas.
Pin It

20 comments:

  1. Love channa dal sundal with coconut...looks Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious easy sundal I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha,not only you am also in the same boat, i do all in the same day too. My fav sundal,love with loads of coconut..Do send it to my event Hema.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. healthy sundal.. U r not only one Hema I do last min also :-)
    http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. healthy and delicious recipe... beautiful presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  7. delicious & healthy snack!!
    Dont worry,most of us belong to same category,I try many times to be more organized,but fail with other important things...:)
    Anyway,better spend one day to link your posts with events...That is good for networking & find new foodie friends...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Healthy & tasty!!!Nice presentation...
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete